- August 25, 2020
- Posted by: AdminAce123
- Category: Home Maintenance
When sewer lines become obstructed, they prevent wastewater from flowing through drainage pipes, causing blockage. The black water that forms as sewage is a possible health hazard and presents a risk if exposed to humans or animals.
If you have a sewage backup in your basement, you will want to fix it as quickly as possible. Here is how to prevent and handle sewage backups in your pipes.
Sewage Backup Causes
- Clogs – Sewage can back up into your home when either your home’s drain pipes, or main sewer line becomes clogged. Clogs can consist of hair, grease, or other solid materials that end up in the drains.
- Damaged Sewer Lines– Aging sewage systems can break down and crack, causing sewage backups and flooded basements.
- Roots – Tree Roots can grow into a pipe and cause holes or crush the sewer line by growing around it.
- Rainfall – Large amounts of rain can overburden your city’s sewer lines. If the public sewer cannot handle excess rainfall, the water can make its way into connected sewer lines.
How to Prevent a Sewage Backup
- Do not pour grease down the drain. Cooking oil can harden within your pipes; it gradually stops debris from draining, creating a clog.
- Dispose of paper products properly. Do not flush hygiene products such as, diapers and paper towels down the toilet, they can easily clog your sewer line.
- Install a new pipe or cut roots. To prevent tree roots from damaging your sewer, replace it with a new plastic pipe. If tree roots still grow in your sewer, cut the roots occasionally.
- Install a backwater prevention valve. This fixture allows sewage to leave but prevents it from backing up into your home.
- Sewage pump maintenance. Make sure your sump pump does not sit on debris such as silt or gravel, which could be sucked up into the pump, ruining the motor. Instead, place it on a steady flat brick.
About American Claims Ensurance
American Claims Ensurance specializes in homeowners and business insurance claim representation. We work vigorously and for YOU to ensure you get the highest possible settlement from the insurance company. Best of all, when you hire the best public adjusters to represent you, you will not have to deal with the stress of working with your insurance company.
American Claims Ensurance offers our insurance claim representation services on a contingency fee basis to YOU. That means, that if we do not collect any funds for you, we do not get paid at all. We will handle the entire claim process from beginning to end and make sure you get the settlement YOU deserve.
American Claims Ensurance has decades of combined experience and expertise knowledge on how the claim process works. We will also help to expedite your claim as quickly as possible.
We represent home and business owners and are retained as expert witnesses by various law firms in a variety of property loss claims, including: